Monday, March 27, 2006

It has been a while....

Sorry to everybody and thanks to celebchef for unwilling me and motivating me to blog again.
Lets get you up to speed. I am used to working in large hotels, I have recently taken an Exec. Chef at a smaller hotel. I run three outlets, fine dining, casual dining and banquets. Recently my food and beverage director left and they replaced him with a former manager who they fired before. He and I do not see eye to eye, That is putting it lightly. Chef's in general are controlling, protective of their territory, and just can not stand people who do NOT understand our business. We have a low tolerance for stupidity. That said, my new boss tried to bulldoze his way the first day I met him. Saying we are changing the menu without even seeing my menu that I have been costing out for a few weeks. Saying we will use his purveyors and his only. He is an old school person and not really willing to try new things. I wanted to go with a seasonal menu and feature fresh Florida produce and seafood. He wants veal marsala. So you see my anguish. I tried to go head on with him and I just don't want the stress. I tried to compromise but that isn't really going so well. I am just letting him do his thing and finding it very amusing. He asked me to give him some menu items and he will price them. He didn't even have the invoices to find out what each portion costs, he was guesstimating. Hmmmm, lobster twelve dollars? Maybe, so I will charge $36.00. I try to help and offer that he needs to add the cost of bread and butter and the salad and the sorbet to his cost. He tells me, "Oh that is about two dollars. I went to Sam's Club and walked around with a calculator." WHAT THE FUCK?????????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home