Thursday, October 20, 2005

Chef in the Kitchen

In this business everybody is in your biznass. You have to go to the walk-in or the freezer to have a private conversation, or to blow-off steam: to vent. Maybe to get a quick tidbit to munch on.
Cooks do not see things the way a chef sees things. When I look at the slicer, I look as if the health inspector were looking at it or worse...my Executive Chef. I look at the shelf where the spices are kept and see that they are not wiped and the shelf is not wiped down. A cook looks at it....they are all in a row, what's the big deal. The slicer looks clean from this ANGLE. I look at their station after closing, and see that they missed a spot wiping or heaven forbid that there are items not wrapped,labeled and dated!!!! I need the dry storage area looking spotless!! The cans and boxes better look like it was a super market!!!
Don't let me start on the fish!!! There had better be a perforated pan, a 200 perf pan in a 400 pan,preferably...not a 200 perf in a 200 pan!!!! ICE! ICE! BABY!
The next day when I tell someone to ice the fish down, they had better not pour out the nasty fish water and re-ice. I want fresh pans!!!!! I even put a sweet and low packet in the bottom of the pans. So, when they ice down..I can check to see if it is a new pan. I swear....There better not be a packet in there when I check!!!!
I tend to lean on a couple of my cooks more than the others. These guys WANT to be in the business and become chefs later. The other guys...Well lets just say that they take up space and cook.
@@@@@@@@@@@@ READ some of my other posts and leave me feedback@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

1 Comments:

Blogger a. said...

hi chef
i just saw your post on my blog about my goat cheese-cheese cake, thanks for stopping by.
I am about to read your blog and in the first post, about the slicer and shelves i can totally relate. I keep trying to get EVERYONE in the kitchen to take the time(yes it takes time) to take apart the slicer and clean properly, that is one of the 1st things the inspectors ask you to take apart, and how embarassing it would be to find crusty pieces of meat, lemon and whatever else didn't get cleaned.
I also understand the frustration of people working in the kitchen who see it as just a job, and have no interest in learning or getting better, it's annoying.
keep your standards high, and i look forward to reading more about your kitchen, peace Alexa

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home