Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Want to be a Chef?????

This will be ONE piece of the puzzle I will lay out, and many more to come.

So, you've made up your mind and think you would be happier leaving an office job for the life in a kitchen? Maybe you were watching Food Network and said to yourself, how hard is that to make one dish in a half hour? I could do that!!!!
You will start out at the bottom. LOW pay and treated like a bitch by everybody higher up than you. You will take it and you will like it. You will answer to the chef with a "YES CHEF". I need shallots cut, "YES CHEF". I need mushrooms cut.....a large lexan. "YES CHEF". Clean the shelves and dry storage,"YES CHEF". Other cooks will make you do things also....and you will. Don't expect a break and please don't be like the guy we hired a few days ago, he asked when is dinner? I said look out in the dining room...its dinner NOW!!! If he wants to eat, then he can eat before work or after. If I am in a good mood I might let him make a snack and eat it in the back, but really quick.
Oh you went to culinary school????? That's different. Then I expect you to know to answer me with "YES CHEF". I should explain how I want the julienne veg cut. Don't get it twisted, I know your school told you that you are all chefs now, YOUR NOT!!!
You must pay your dues.(I hated that phrase coming up) I did not have to be in the business for 15 years before I got my first sous chef job. If that was the case then you are doing something wrong. You do have to put some work in, you must want to excel, you should come in early, by a couple of hours...for free..before your shift.
You should be thinking ahead, what can I prep today that will save me time for tomorrow?
You will put in long hours once you are a chef. I put in a min. of 12hours a day to a max of 16 hours. That is on my feet with no "lunch break". You will eat whatever morsel of food you find. Heel of a bread? Where is the butter? Don't get grossed out.... They sent their lamb back because it was overcooked? Sure we will fire a new one..let us eat this one first.
Stay tuned for the next episode. I will discuss the stress of service and the aches and pains we feel.

1 Comments:

Blogger Swedish Steel said...

I'm strictly a wannabe. I've volunteer assisted at a cooking school a bit, but not a career for me!

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home